Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Weirdness

Oh this was a weird day. My boss is leaving. I’ve been here about a year and a half and this will make boss #4 now. Yeah. I wish I were surprised at this but I’m not. Head of Marketing is a really good stepping stone to other positions. (Ok, so one got promoted, one got fired, and this one got a new job.) At least his replacement is someone I actually respect, so I’m happy about that. Poor new girl though. She just started yesterday and her boss is being promoted. Eeeks. But the new boss deserves this job. She should have gotten it before almost former boss. (Ok does that make sense??) I’m actually looking forward to seeing what she does with this job. She knows her stuff and is a much better leader.
I am looking for a new job anyway, just haven’t found one I like yet. I’m allowed to be picky now. I don’t have to take the first few offered to me because I’m unemployed and need a job. My resume is out there and I’m getting some calls, mostly from recruiters. I really need to call some of them back. I just don’t like the jobs they’re offering, but they are contacts and all. I just hate meeting with the staffing agencies and doing all the testing and stuff. Oh well. I really need to get my ass out there and apply for things. At least I can ask almost old boss for a reference now and not feel weird about it.
I just hate staying at a company that’s having a hard time staying afloat. It was even mentioned in a meeting today that we were able to get cash for 5-6 months and all but who knows after that. I didn’t know the extent of the money loss before, but damn, it was big. Basically we lost some big state contracts through crappy politics and Haliburton-esque stuff. (Thanks Gov. Perry.) Although big boss did make a mention of long overdue raises, I just don’t see that happening for a while. Urgh. It is nice to know that he realizes that we do deserve them. Our department is what keeps the company running- we are the ones who create the network.
In other happy fun news, I got my Mp3 player fixed last night so that’s happiness. It took some finagling and fun downloads but everything is cool now with that. Note to self: keep connected while updating firmware. Damn cats. I stepped on Gabby this morning too. She was sleeping at my feet, as she loves to do, and I didn’t realize she was there so, oops. She’s still small enough to curl into this itty bitty ball. She really has this thing about sleeping at feet or in the space behind the knees. Other cats sleep at the head, Gabby sleeps in the middle. She’s really a strange little one with attitude.
Shit is about to go down at the boy’s restaurant. It’s going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. Let’s just say that hiring your wife to be a manager is NOT a good idea, especially when she’s a harried new mom and is just not a restaurant person to begin with. (The owners have gotten so many complaints that they’ve sent in people to spy on her service. And the reports aren’t good.) We’re giving it 2 weeks until she leaves to visit family for Turkey Day and is gone for 10 days. They’re betting on a huge difference in how things run. The scary thing is that I haven’t heard this just
This is something that’s hard to deal with as she’s the mom friend I posted about previously and is a friend and hubby is a friend and also boy’s boss. It’s going to get bad and we don’t know what to do. We can’t do anything really. All we can do is just let it develop. I mean, how do you tell someone, especially your freakin’ boss, that he has to fire his wife, especially when it’s the wife who runs the show in their relationship?
Seriously, the one good thing about this is that it’s made the Boy and I talk about things more and realize that we really believe in the same things and we agree on the important relationship stuff- like it’s ok to say NO to your SO. All we can think is we’re glad we’re not them. We’re not perfect in any way but from this it seems as if we have a much more solid grip on reality than they do.

No comments: