Monday, November 27, 2006

After the long weekend

Coming back to work after a long weekend is so hard. I just didn’t want to get up this morning, even though I knew that I had to. My alarm startled me, which in turn scared the heck out of Gabby, who fell off the bed. (That is the chance she takes for sleeping at the edge but hee…) Punk was in the window, as usual. This morning, they were even more vocal than usual about the food thing. They were both meowing from the moment I sat up. Pumpkin was even meowing at me while I was in the shower. Normally she waits patiently on the toilet but I guess she really wanted her tuna this morning. (Normally the boy feeds them first but it’s his day off and he wasn’t getting up just to feed the girls.) It was just a fun morning I tell ya.
This weekend was also a test for the kittens. As Thanksgiving was such a beautiful day, we had the doors open to the back yard. This also meant that the girls could wander in and out as they pleased. This was Gabby’s first time outside (not counting her escapes, which are now so common that we have to close the door within seconds or she’ll be out.) and it was Punk’s first time out at the new house. It took them a few minutes for them to realize that yes, they could go out and no, no one was running after them to shove them back inside.
Things went well. Gabby stayed near the doors for the most part and hid under plants, while Punk did a little more exploring, but still stayed in the yard. She ended up sleeping under a favorite plant for a while, and then being chased by Gabby. Then the dogs next door came out and it was over for Punk.. She tried being all brave by walking halfway to the fence, but ran as soon as the dog noticed her. She hid in the house for the rest of the day and wasn’t too keen on going back out. Gabby however, got up the nerve to do a lot more exploring. The dog had no effect on her. She chased loads of butterflies and birds and had a few adventures. One of these included climbing the fence and trying to escape. As Gabby still needs her rabies shots (getting this week as she needed to be 4 months before they would do it) that was not good. We had to grab her off the top of the fence 3 times before making the ultimate wise decision to shut her inside. It was starting to get dark anyway, so we moved inside.That Gabby, she is going to be trouble. Punk wasn’t even considering climbing the fence at that age. This worries as I think Gabby might actually do the tree climbing that I thought Punk would do. The boy thinks that Punk will follow Gabby most everywhere, and while that is true, if there’s a dog, Punk will run. Gabby does not have that fear yet. So we’ll see. I guess I have to go get a kitty door this weekend. Le sigh. I just worry about the little one. But she’ll be back for food at least.

1 comment:

-qir said...

Are you going to Microchip her then?