Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Books Books Books!

I am a bookworm. I’ve always been a voracious reader, ever since I figured out that hey, these words on the page actually mean something. Once I started, I was hooked and I’ve never looked back.
I like to read by myself. I hate being read to- no one ever goes fast enough for me. I like to devour my books and being read to just doesn’t work for me. (I’m a visual learner so I’m sure that has a whole lot to do with it also.) This fact greatly disappointed my mom when I was younger, as it was the end of reading bedtime stories to me. Once I could read on my own, it was all I wanted to do.
I have my phases and obsessions with books and authors. I was, and still am, a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan. Those books brought the past alive for me and I was obsessed with the time period for a long time, to the point that I even dressed like the women for a while. I credit those books for creating in me my absolute love of history and the past. LM Montgomery, the author of Anne of Green Gables is my absolute favorite author. Her books are also set in a different time period, in the late 1890s, early 1900s. I really and truly enjoy reading and learning about that time period, and it’s all thanks to my precious books.
Bookstores are my favorite stores. I love to shop and I love to shop for books even more. I have a hard time passing a bookstore without going in, especially if it’s a used/discount store. Libraries are basically like second homes to me. I spent so much time in my local one growing up. I always amazed the librarians with the amount of books I took out each time, and they would be all read before or by the time they were due back.
I am also the nerd who carries a book or magazine wherever I go. Just in case I am stuck somewhere, I have a book. I read when I am bored. I read when I’m not bored. If I could read all the time I probably would. I have no problem walking into a restaurant by myself and reading while eating my meal. In fact, that’s rather normal for me. Don’t get me wrong, I love going out with other people, but I’m also comfortable being alone too. It’s ended up being a sort of Saturday lunch thing for me. I usually end up at the boy’s restaurant and sit at the counter reading while munching on a yummy pizza. I don’t even have to order anymore, the Boy puts it in as soon as I walk in. On weekends when the Boy is in the country, I go for Pho. (Though it is difficult to read and eat Pho at the same time, it can be done. Magazines are best for this but I’ve done it with books too.)
Now I can’t wait to get home and read some more.
Current book: The Wicked Day by Mary Stewart
Just read: Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichel

2 comments:

-qir said...

Do not, then, I repeat, do NOT go to law school. Everything you just wrote about you, you could have written about me. Even that dress period thing. I used to have a bonnet. :)

Now, I can sometimes read things like the sephora catalog. I get in a novel per semester.

Man am I looking forward to the day when reading for pleasure is no longer an oxymoron.

Yank In Texas said...

Oh I am never going to law school. I'll work for lawyers and maybe be a paralegal, but that's as far as I go.