Wednesday, June 14, 2006

House Hunting

Oh god. We decided to buy a house. Yeah, that was an impulse. I'm the one who has to start talking to lenders because I'll be the primary borrower. My credit isn't very good but there are other ways to do it. (The boy doesn't really have any. Hasn't helped since he's the most gung-ho about this. You'd have thought he would have done more...) Plus we have a small downpayment. We've seen houses we like ranging from 103,000 to 135,000. That's doable for sure. Oh god we're going to buy a house- or at least try!
I get to email and call potential lenders today! Tis all about the shopping around!
Our friends gave us the name of their mortgage broker, so we're going to try her. I figure it couldn't hurt. Yikes!

7 comments:

MLE said...

Wow! Exciting (and scary!)

We're still a few years away from the whole "buying a house" thing, and it probably won't be where we live now, because houses, even small ones, in this area go upwards of 250K. Not gonna happen.

Yank In Texas said...

Yeah I'm freaked out. I've got a name of a friend's realtor to contract. If you find the right one, they can take care of you. Get the no money down, no closing costs or whatever. Gah.

I'm so glad parts of this city are still affordable- and in the neighborhoods we like.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

I'd have to move back to Chicago to buy a condo or house or something. Right now I'm thinking of knocking around for a while and seeing what happens with all the interest only loans when the principal becomes due. A lot of us think we're due for a huge correction around that time.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

BTW, California still seems to be going strong and crazy but Hellpit is softening up. My parents were telling me there are a ton of houses for sale in Lexington right now that just aren't moving the way they used to...I told them I was happy they sold when they did.

The 'rents are redoing two of the bathrooms on the new house soon and changing out the basement floor for wood laminate. Every time I go back it's "new and improved."

Yank In Texas said...

Austin. I ain't moving. Plus I might go for teacher certification, which means a huge bump in pay starting next August if I do it, and for that we'll have to stay. Sneaky me.

-qir said...

Yay for homeownership.
Best of luck to you with this endeavor!

Uhm also.. might want to talk to someone about jointly buying property with someone you're not married to.

Can ya tell I'm in lawschool???

-mg

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

I was going to mention that but felt really guilty about bringing it up.

You have different rights and obligations if you take as tenants-in-common versus joint tenancy Yank. Just keep it mind.