Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Chicken and Tomato Sandwich with garlic oil

Sorry I’ve been so busy lately. The blog has been the last thing on my mind. What with the sudden house hunting decision, the imminent arrival of my parents (one week yikes!), and a zillion other things, life has been crazy.
But I’ve been eating well and making yummy stuff. I’ve been keeping it rather simple but that’s always a plus when the temperature has already decided to remain in the 90s. The high 90s I might add.
One of the easy recipes I made recently is a simple chicken and tomato sandwich. I used American cheese because I like it from time to time, but any other would go well. (Ok that and we were out of everything else.) Really. Use what you like.

Chicken and Tomato Sandwich

1 baguette, cut into sandwich sized pieces
1 chicken breast per person, less if desired
Italian salad dressing
Red onion, sliced
Tomato, sliced
Basil or arugula, optional
Olive oil
Garlic

Marinate the chicken in the salad dressing for about 1 hour. Just enough for some of the flavor to permeate.
Cook the chicken breast however you wish and let cool.
While the chicken is cooking, place about 4 T of olive oil in a pan. Chop up the garlic and place in the oil. Heat on low to infuse the oil. Keep it really low-barely a flame. This will help to keep the garlic from burning. This takes about 10 minutes at the most.
Assemble the sandwich. I brush the garlic oil on one side of the bread. On that, I top it with the chicken, sliced or whole. Then place the onions and tomatoes. Top with cheese and arugula. For a twist, stick it in the toaster oven to make it well, toasty. You can make it a panini by using a press or by heating a heavy skillet and placing a slightly smaller heavy skillet on top of the sandwich. A foil covered brick works really well.

No comments: