Sunday, May 06, 2007

I got lucky!

I never win things. I never get this lucky. I never pick the right stuff but this time I did. Friends of ours had a Kentucky Derby party and we all put in $5 each and picked our Win, Place, or Show. Somehow, my picks were the most accurate and I won the $70 pot! Yay me!
I picked Street Sense to win, Curlin to place, amd Imawildandcrazyguy for Show. (Who could not love that name?!!) I was a horse off and missed Hard Spun for placing but not too bad. One other person picked Street Sense to win but her pick for place was Cowton Cat and well, that was dead last. So I got the pot!
Of course, I already spent it today, on 4 chairs for our patio. I'd been wanting them for a while and now I have them.
The Derby party was tons of fun. We ladies were in our frocks and hats, and 2 of the men showed up in matching seersucker suits. There was tons of food. Tons. This guy Russell was the chef of the day and he made Burgoo (hog, frog, cow, pig, gator, rabbit, among others.) It was amazing. Plus there were garlic-cheese-poblano grits and fried chicken. And Derby pie for dessert. The Mint Juleps were flowing, as was the Tecate (Cinco de Mayo influence there.) It was mostly a restaurant crowd so we were all focused on the food really, and it didn't disappoint.
We took some Burgoo home and it'se even better the next day.
All in all a good weekend.
On Thursday I get to find out who I'll be seeing for my birthday weekend when the ACL list comes out. A few bands have been leaked. I get to see Bjork, the White Stripes, Robert Earl Keen, and the Indigo Girls for my birthday. I can't wait to see who else!

2 comments:

EEK! said...

Louisville is so funny the day after Derby. It's like everyone lets out a big sigh, we don't have to frantically party anymore. Though one guy was still walking down Bardstown Road with an open can of beer today. Dude. It's not New Orleans. You get one day a year to pull that stunt. Dump it out, clean it up.

MLE said...

Sounds like a fun party! And also, the White Stripes concert I went to with Cil and Hulk lo these many years ago is still the best concert I ever saw. I'm jealous!