Monday, August 07, 2006

I'm Getting Too Old For This

This whole staying up late thing- just can't do it anymore. Well I can, but I'm destroyed and useless the whole next day. 4am is just not a good bedtime.
Friday night, I went up to the restaurant for my usual Friday night hangout of good food and music. Plus I get to watch the boy work, sigh. I love that. When we got home, some of our neighbors were hanging out and invited us over. They're all about our age so we said, sure why not?
We went over and the 2 girls were already very far gone and the boys were trying to catch up. (The girls had gotten off early and started with a magnum of wine and it just went from there. They were wasted.) We just hung out, played music, and talked. I got my inner nerd on with one of the guys by talking and quoting RENT. We both have it memorized. (Funny to note that both the RENT obsessed guys I know are both named Jason. Go figure.)
One of the girls, who lives in front of us, was starting to complain about her situation and how she never has any money. She waits tables and makes a decent living but spends it all partying and stuff. Her utilities have been cut off twice. She's going to be late on rent this month, and she still has to pay child support. (Has a son who lives with her parents. She's 31.) Responsible, no? And to top it off, she's asked our landlord/realtor to help her find a house. Somehow I don't think that's going to happen. I just don't understand how you can live that way. Priorities really.
Anyway, so we hung out with them for a while and then I started nodding off. I wasn't really drinking much because I knew I was tired. I went home and the boy followed a few minutes later.
I woke up 3.5 hours later to get my butt out of bed for the farmer's market as we needed some veggies and things. When I came home, I plopped down on the couch and passed out for 3 hours. Oops. The boy didn't even move when I left. We just can't keep wasting the days like that.
Makes me feel old but then again, I am old. I have responsibilities. I have to get stuff done. I can't party all the time anymore. Plus we won't be able to afford it soon anyway.