Saturday, September 23, 2006

Meet the newest member of our family


This is Gabby.

I got suckered in to falling for this little one while at the Pet store today looking for a pet door for our other one. We've been talking about another cat for a while and so, this happened. She was adopted from Paw Match and was rescued from a kill shelter 1 day before she was to be put down. Her brother and sister were adopted yesterday. I didn't mean to end up with a girl but voila. She cuddled. I melted. She meowed, I said how much. And thus, we have a baby, who looks amazingly like our other one, except less stripes. Sigh. I'm such a sucker for kittens.

They said she was 3months but she looks so tiny. She's spayed though and has had all her shots. plus we have 2 free vet visits. Yay. Cost was about what a vet visit would be and the money goes back to rescuing more little ones so that's a happy thing. Good karma and all. She's only eating wet food right now but I plan to mix soon and get her on dry as wet poo stinks. Plus dry is easier to leave out.

She's extremely playful and a huge talker, thus the Gabby. It's the name given but I like it and it fits here. Oh my does she meow. Right now I'm in our guest room as we have to keep the two separate and this one is not happy being left alone. We gave her a nice setup and everything but she cried and I can't deal with that. so i'm spending the night.

Pumpkin is currently sitting outside the door. She's not exactly thrilled with the newcomer but she doesn't hate her. No fluffed up tail or yowl. Just hiss, growl, and the going after the kitten. poor Gabby just rolls over and surrenders. So we have to keep them apart. We've done some supervised visits but Pumpkin does not like it. Gabby is fine. She loves roaming. Gabby is encroaching on Pumpkin's territory and punk does not like it one bit. Any advice to help them get along would be so wonderful.

5 comments:

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Have you tried smearing her in tuna oil?

We were really lucky with the Gundu-Limbu introduction. Gundu was still a kitten when I brought home Limbu. Also, he is probably developmentally disabled. So it was Limbu hissing and acting bitchy after a 3 hour plane ride, and Gundu enticing him to come out and play.

Now they're still fastest of friends and sleep and play together.

Babu-Missy: Babu just ignored her.

Missy-Gundu: Missy occasionally licks him like a baby but mostly ignores him.

Missy-Limbu: mortal enemies. Limbu does really passively aggressive things. Like lying whale-like in the entrance to the kitty litter room. So then she poops in the sink.

Ah, Days of our Kitties.

Yank In Texas said...

Hmmm. Tuna. That might make her eat her. It's not bad really. Gabby plays and punk swats and runs after her. I think we just need to let them have it out, let Pumpkin realize that Gabby isn't going to fight back and just wants to play, and then it will be ok. Gabby HATES being shut up. Sigh. Kittens.

MLE said...

KITTY!

BABY KITTY!

*dies of cuteness overload*

When we brought Loki home we kept him shut in one room for a few days, and they played with each other under the door, and then they had supervised visitation for a day or two, and then it was everyone together. Pumpkin will get used to Gabby.

-qir said...

I think it just takes a while. As long as Gabita just keeps rolling over, it should be fine.

Ali Ambrosio said...

Hi - I found you from Monkey's site.

I recently adopted 2 kittens that were abandoned at 1 week old in a plastic sack in a dumpster(!). They are now healthy, happy little guys but very intolerant of commercial cat chow. I now cook up homemade food every week for them, they are so spoiled.

I lived in Austin for 2 years, right next to Zilker Park. I miss the ACL Festival. I used to date the guy who is now the Marketing Director for the festival. We actually moved to Austin together...long story, my life is pretty different now.

Anyhow, just thought I'd say hi. Very cute kitten you've got there.