Friday, July 14, 2006

Dinner Summary For the Week

Last Friday: Mexican at La Feria
I had enchiladas- shocker really. It was ok. It's a cheap Mexican place that does things quickly. It wasn't groundbreaking or anything but I've had better. Normally we would have gone to El Arroyo or Matt's El Rancho but we've been on overload there recently and wanted something different.
Saturday: A version of Sara Moulton's Fried Chicken Salad. I pan fried chicken thighs and placed them on a salad composé (not tossed) of arugula, tomatoes, corn (sliced from the cob), and red onions. I dressed it with a ranch dressing- the kind you make with a mix from the box because that's what I was craving. Fresh herbs would have been better but eh. It was quite good if I do say so myself. All the veggies were bought that morning at the farmers' market.
Sunday: It was the boy's birthday so the night before I had made him a cheesecake. They're best if left to chill overnight. For dinner we had lemon and garlic asparagus, rosemary and onion roasted potatoes, and rib-eye steak with a bleu-cheese herb compound butter. It was all cooked on the grill. (Foil packets for the potatoes and aparagus.) That also turned out very yummy.
Monday: Chinese food because we were lazy.
Tuesday: I wanted something easy so I made chicken and rice. I marinated the chicken for 15-20 minutes in white wine, honey, and mustard, along with some s&p. Then I dumped it all into a pan with olive oil and sauteed. It came out really good. Canned corn on the side.
Wednesday: Usual Chinese night with C.
Thursday: Ugh. This was not a good food night. I was really tired and craving something horriblyy bad for me. So I tried to make a tater tot type casserole without using actual tater tots. I grated potatoes but forgot to squeeze out the water. Mistake. They just soaked up the oil and didn't fry very well. Then I cooked the pork and that was ok. I dumped it all into a casserole dish and covered it in cream of mushroom soup (yes every once in a while I do use this.), covered it in cheese, and baked. For some reason it just turned out so bland. Ugh. Just not good. Oh well. Live and learn.
Just wish I could remember what I did with the chicken!

No comments: